Church History

Our Former Pastors
Rev. Oliver Goad, 1957-1960
Rev. Grayson McNeill, 1960-1962
Rev. Sam Martz, 1962-1968
Rev. Linwood Croxton, 1968-1974
Rev. Ed Brockwell, 1974-1975
Rev. Ron Abbott, 1975-1984
Rev. Richard Wilson, 1984-2001
Rev. Ralph Nevin, 2002-present

In 1957, a small group began meeting together in the home of Elick and Sue Campbell. This handful of believers felt led by God to take a step of faith and they began plans to form what is now known as First Baptist Church of Calvert County. After much prayer, one of the first steps they took was to rent the American Legion Hall in St. Leonard. The group met at the American Legion Hall to worship for approximately one year. The first board members were elected on May 12, 1957 at the VFW location in St. Leonard. Those members were Lewis Alvis, Cecil Blackwell, Elick Campbell, Russell Duncan, Robert Hairston, and Ernest Rowell.

Then on July 10, 1957, property was purchased from the Prince Frederick Charge of the Methodist Church. This is the location presently in use and is the same location as the original German Chapel.

A mortgage loan was secured from Capital City Building & Loan Association on January 13, 1958. The construction of the church building began in May of 1958. The first section measured 30 x 50 feet, and the basement was dug by hand! The first congregation consisted of about ten families and the treasury held a balance of only $100. Rev. Ollie Goad served as the first minister.

The second minister was Grayson McNeill, who served from 1960-1962.

Sam Martz served as minister from 1962 – 1968. The basement on the new part of the church was constructed in 1968.

Linwood Croxton was the residing minister from 1968 – 1974. In 1973, the church purchased a parsonage located on Wilson Court in Prince Frederick.

Ron Abbott served as pastor from 1975 – 1984. Pastor Abbott, his wife Irene, and daughter Becky resided in the parsonage in Prince Frederick. Pastor Abbot also served as chaplain for the Maryland State Police. During his tenure the church conducted a radio program called “Words of Truth,” which ran on local radio station WMJS.

Pastor Richard Wilson began his ministry in Calvert County in 1984 and remained until 2001. One of Pastor Wilson’s first projects was to oversee the work necessary to update and clarify the Church Constitution. He also instituted the first Board of Trustees, as called for in the Articles of Incorporation dated May, 1957. The groundbreaking ceremony for the addition of a multi-purpose building/gymnasium to the church took place on December 3, 2000.

Pastor Ralph Nevin began his ministry at First Baptist Church in October, 2002.